Sunday, January 18, 2015

Day 12, 2nd Sunday  in the Holy Land

This morning we woke up early, had breakfast   (I'm  sure  you  are  missing  the play by play on food, but it's just  ok-nothing  to  write  home about   [pun intended]), and met Khaleil  for another walk through the Old City of Jerusalem, and then through 2 security  Check points to  get to the Temple  Mount.  On this strategic acreage lies the heart of the three major religions  of Israel.  Alet Asa Mosque, the Dome on the Rock, and the Wailing  Wall are here.  For the last decade no one has been allowed  to  enter the Dome of the Rock except  Muslims  for prayers.  We were able to come close  to  the  doors and see that there  was  renovation going on inside.  Khaleil  was very  passionate  about  this place and rightly so!

Off to church  at Lutheran  Church  of the Redeemer   where Bishop Munib Younan  presided, and Bishop Elizabeth  Eaton pteached.  It was an amazing  experience sitting there  and worshipping.  After church I connected with  Professor Barbara  Rossignol from my LSTC  days, and with Pastor  Raphael  Malpica-Padilla from church wide staff.  I also met Dennis Frado who  I will be in touch with in CA soon.

From  church  we went to Hadassah  Hospital to the synagogue  on site that has 12 beautiful Marc Chagal stained glass  windows.  The explanation  of  each  wad beautiful  as well.  Each winow tells  the story of the 12 sons of Jacob.  Worth a  visit!

From there  we went to the  Israeli  National  Museum, ate lunch   (a vacant sandwich) and toured the model of Jerusalem  in 66CE.  It's  huge!!!!  And then we visited  the  separate  building for the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's  a beautiful  place to walk through!  Beth and I stayed  extra time at the museum  to take in more  of its collection.

We came back, ate dinner, had our meeting  and now I've written  my blog  so...good  night!

No comments:

Post a Comment